Re: sorting from IMAP folders

2000-07-07 14:43:24

Jason asked,

| How do I invoke the script you gave me?

I suppose just give it execute permission and (I called it stampsort because
it sequences mail by timestamp, but you can use any name you like)

 stampsort < unsequenced_mbox > sequenced_mbox

or if there are multiple files to combine,

 cat pattern | stampsort > sequenced_mbox

| What should the working_dir be?

That's wherever you want the temporary files to be stored while formail
writes them out with names that will sort into the correct sequence.

| The Imap server that I'm using just serves up mbox files, so I guess your
| script should work okay for me.

OK then.  Good luck.

If you don't have a version of date there that does -d or +%s, it's possible
to assemble a numeric date within procmail; it won't be a count of seconds
since the Unix epoch but rather a YYYYMMDDhhmmss string.  (I have an
INCLUDERC that does something similar, so I'll edit it into shape later and
post it.)  The important thing is that a bunch of files named that way will
still end up in chronological order if you let a shell expand *.