Re: Procmail -maildir

2000-07-11 15:00:04
"Dominic W. Chan" <dwchan(_at_)webtechmedia(_dot_)com> writes:
I am still a bit confuse, so I have to create "touch" the user mailbox
before hand?  This seem odd.  CUrrently, we are using procmail v3.1.3.
When we first create a new user, (assuming his mail is going to
/var/spool/mail/), there wouldn't be not mailbox there until the user
received his/her first mail!  So what you are saying is that in order for
procmail to store or deliver the mail for the user in the maildir format,
I have to created an empty user mailbox before hand?  (ie
/var/spool/mail/dwchan/)???

Where did it say you had to create the mailbox ahead of time?  If the
mailspool path compiled into procmail ends with a "/", then procmail
will try to treat that path as a maildir style mailbox, creating it if
it doesn't already exist.

So, how can you do this?  First, since you want user mailspools to be
maildir style, you need to upgrade to procmail version 3.15pre.  This
version is believed to be stable, but I haven't had the time to finish
testing it, so you'll want to do some testing for yourself.  It's your
email, so be paranoid!

After downloading the source from:
        ftp://ftp.procmail.org/pub/procmail/testing
unpack it and then edit the src/authenticate.c file, changing the code
at around line 40 that reads:

#ifndef MAILSPOOLSUFFIX
#define MAILSPOOLSUFFIX ""           /* suffix to force maildir or MH style */
#endif

to instead define MAILSPOOLSUFFIX to "/", i.e.:

#ifndef MAILSPOOLSUFFIX
#define MAILSPOOLSUFFIX "/"          /* suffix to force maildir or MH style */
#endif

Then compile, test, and install it.

Philip Guenther