Modifying subjectlines via procmail

2000-07-21 02:51:39
Can someone toss a recipe at me that will remove certain text
from certain headers, and then file a message into a folder?

I'm basically sick of mailing lists that INSIST on putting
"[idiot-list]" in their subject lines so that people can filter
mail, while wasting the whole subject line and making index
scanning impossible.  Complaining usually works about 80% of the
time after you explain how removing it works just fine if people
use the proper header to filter mail, however the week long
thread it takes to get action wastes too much time to be worth
it.

So... I'd like to have a recipe for my example mailing list where
it is called "idiot-list", and it has [idiot-list] in the subject
line.

Here is my first untested try:

:0:
* ^Subject:.*[idiot-list]
| sed 's/[idiot-list]//'
IDIOT-LIST

I'm no procmail guru, so please bear with me.  All I want is that
junk removed from the subject, and the subject only.  Thanks in
advance for your help.  I've been on this mailing list in the
past and the help was incredible.  You guys could probably write
video games in .procmailrc.  There should at least be an
obfuscated .procmailrc code writing contest every year..

Thanks in advance,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.