Procmail as MDA or .forward on Solaris 7

2000-07-22 19:53:11
So, I've been using procmail for _years_.  I had been using it on
Solaris 2.5.1 with a modified sendmail.cf to use procmail as the MDA on
the system; that had been working for a couple of years at least.

On Friday my system was upgraded to Solaris 7.  The sendmail.cf section
dealing with MDAs is much more complicated than it was for Solaris
2.5.1, and I don't understand it.  My basic attempt to install procmail
as the MDA failed; I just kept getting errors whenever mail was
delivered.  Here's what Solaris 7 has for local delivery:

Mlocal,         P=/usr/lib/mail.local, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qfSmn9, S=10/30, R=20/40,
                T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                A=mail.local -d $u
Mprog,          P=/bin/sh, F=lsDFMoqeu9, S=10/30, R=20/40, D=$z:/,
                T=X-Unix,
                A=sh -c $u

I don't have the first idea what that stuff means.

So, first, if anyone has a recipe for sendmail.cf on Solaris 7 that
installs procmail as the MDA, and which works, I'd be quite grateful to
see it.

So, I figured, in the meantime I'd just install procmail in a ~/.forward
file in the tried and true method.  But that doesn't work either!
Solaris just simply ignores the ~/.forward file as if it didn't exist at
all!  I have procmail logging enabled and the log file is empty, so I
know it's not even being invoked.  I tried adding "echo $$
/tmp/fwd.out" early in the .forward script, before any tests, and that
file is never even created!  It's definitely that sendmail isn't seeing
or processing my .forward file.  There are no messages in
/var/adm/messages.  I checked the sendmail man page and it notes my
shell must be listed in /etc/shells, and I checked and it is.

My .forward looks like this right now:

  $ ls -l ~/.forward
  -rw-r--r--   1 psmith   rcms         107 Jul 21 21:30 /opt/psmith/.forward

  $ cat ~/.forward
  "|IFS=' ' && echo $$ >> /tmp/fwd.out && p=/usr/local/bin/procmail && test -f
$p && exec $p -f- || exit 75#fopo"

I use procmail to sort out mail from many, many very high volume lists,
then use Gnus to read them; right now my INBOX is simply crushed because
procmail isn't working.

So, second, what's the problem with .forward!?!?

Help!  Anyone!