virus scanning, care to critique?

2000-07-22 11:05:02
Since y'all did so well at turning my last efforts into a one-liner, I
thought you may enjoy expressing your superior recipe cooking skills
regarding this one.  I'm using it as an INCLUDERC in /etc/procmailrc to
scan attachments for virii, and if infected, notify the system
administrator and the sender, and then dump the mail.  I would like the
notice to the system administrator to be a bit more verbose than it is now,
like including the sender's information and the intended recipient...

Thanks.
Lee Howard

METAMAIL_TMPDIR="/etc/procmail/avtemp"
        # note that the avtemp directory must be writable by all mail
recipients
SYSADMIN=lee(_at_)server(_dot_)deanox(_dot_)com
VIRUSMSG=/etc/procmail/virusmsg
        # this is a message that will be sent to the sender
CONAME=Deanox

:0
ic:/tmp/avtemp.lock
| metamail -r -w -x

:0 ic:/tmp/avtemp.lock

/usr/bin/antivir $METAMAIL_TMPDIR/* >
$METAMAIL_TMPDIR/antivir.log

VIRUSCHECK=`grep -e "VIRUS"
$METAMAIL_TMPDIR/antivir.log`

:0 ic:/tmp/avtemp.lock
| rm -f
$METAMAIL_TMPDIR/*

:0
* ! $VIRUSCHECK ?? ^^^^
{
 :0 ic
 | ( formail -r -A
        -I "From: $CONAME Mail Anti-Virus Agent <$SYSADMIN>"
\
        -I "Subject: WARNING! infected mail went undelivered" ; \
        cat $VIRUSMSG
; echo $VIRUSCHECK ) | $SENDMAIL -t

 :0 i
 | ( formail -r -A "X-Loop:
$SYSADMIN" \
        -I "From: $CONAME Mail Anti-Virus Agent <$SYSADMIN>"
\
        -I "To: $SYSADMIN" \
        -I "Subject: NOTICE! Infected mail
went undelivered" ; \
        echo "The system successfully caught and
deleted mail infected with the following virus:" ; \
        echo $VIRUSCHECK ) |
$SENDMAIL -t

 :0:/tmp/avtemp.lock
 /dev/null