Re: dot locking?

2000-07-26 17:01:20

Postmaster notify: cannot lockf(/etc/mail/aliases.dir, fd=11, type=1,
omode=37777777777, euid=0): No record locks available

we got this error message recently on our servers, and I'm wondering if it
could at all be related to another problem we have where random users are
getting their mail multiplied and sent to them several times.

Very likely. I had an incident where I managed to get two copies of fetchmail
running concurrently (a bug in fetchmail) getting the same mail from the same
server (a bug in cucipop) and using procmail to feed it into my nmh folders
(nmh desn't lock either),

I got corrupted mail and all sorts of nasties.

As you may guess, I
Complained to Eric Raymond, author of fetchmail. Eric responded and TRIED  to
fix it.
Complained to Cucipop's auther. There being no response, I sacked Cucipop.
Mentioned to the NMH folk they really ought to get round to locking
Implemented locks myself in procmail recipes.