Re: splitting digests

2000-07-27 13:29:45
At 15:24 2000-07-27 -0400, jack wallen jr wrote:
:0:
* ^Subject:.*surfing.*Digest
| formail +1 -ds >>surfing

will separate the 'surfing' digest into it's individual e-mails and dump
them in the 'surfing' folder.  what i'm confused about is if the name of
the digest (as it seems in this recipe) is derived from the
^Subject: line.  why is this?

Uhm, presumably because the surfing digest was identified by it's subject line. Admittedly, this particular rule is quite lame, since it'd attempt to bust up a message like "how to I unsu*scribe from the surfing digest?", which may have been offlisted to the user, or in fact, may be WITHIN the burst digest. In reality, testing for list-inserted headers (like the new "List-Id" on the procmail list), along with a sender or from makes a lot more sense.

Just keep in mind that the example is just that - an example. It is not meant to be a generic rule suitable for any given list or need, but instead serves to show how one would break up a digest.

These days, more and more digests aren't even comprised of the entire emails, but are instead extracted bodies with the briefest of (non-RFC) headers for separators and indentification. I very much doubt such that the formail digest bursting function would work very well in those situations.

I trust you're not subscribed to the Surfing Digest?

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395