Re: Optimizing recipes.

2000-07-31 23:34:17

Is there a better way of organizing this so that one recipe can
catch all lists?

I was thinking something that could detect the list name from the
X-Mailing-List header and automatically uppercase it and store in
that folder.

I've tried this. I would recommend it only for the criminally insane; there
are two many conflicting ideas on what goes where.

What I wanted to do was get the list name (or a shortened version of it) and
use that for my folder name.

I found I'm on three lists called "general." I sorted that one out by picking
out the lists's hostname and using that as part of the path.

There's another low-volume list where each mailing creates a new folder;-(. I
guess I could have a preliminary rule for that. However, it IS low volume.

It works well for redhat;-)
:0:RHS
{
        FOLDER=$MATCH

        :0
        | $MHp  +redhat/$CDATE/$FOLDER
}

:0:RHS
| $MHp +redhat/$CDATE/unclassified

Separating your procmail into separate files helps keep track of things.

Also, I've got another series of recipe's I'd like to shorten
which are like the following:

:0:
* From:(_dot_)*myfriend(_at_)somewhere
FRIENDS

:0:
* From:(_dot_)*friend2(_at_)elsewhere
FRIENDS

:0:
* From:(_dot_)*morefriends(_at_)somewhereelse
FRIENDS

How can I combine this into one recipe?  Right now it is about 40
recipes and I'd rather see something like:

KISS
It's far easier to understand something that's verbose and repetitive than
something that's short and tricky. You can't possibly have so much brainpower
that procmail sorting your mail is slowing you appreciably from reading it.