Re: breaking inbox into seperate messages

2000-08-09 23:45:58
Hi,

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Marshal Benton wrote:
MB| I found the -s option before posting. I read the man page.
MB| Please, No RTFM, ARBD (AlReady Been Done).
:-) Terribly sorry in that case.

MB| I tried
MB| format -s cat > '$FILENO' < inbox
MB| AND
MB| format -s cat > $FILENO < inbox
MB| I got a file called $FILENO with the same
MB| contents (one file with all the messages).
'formail -s procmail < INBOXFILE'

MB| If the original inbox contained 10 messages, I am
MB| trying to get, as a result of executing formail,
MB| 10 distinct files (one message per file).
In the example above I used procmail as the program. man formail
says:"[...]the first argument following it is expected to be the name
of a program [...] If you omit the program, then formail will simply
concatenate the splitted  mails  on stdout again. [...]"

So if you write a procmail recipe that splits up the messages, that
would work.

Jan Niggemann

--
Neither I nor my employer will accept any liability for any problems
or consequential loss or damage caused by relying on this information.

JN1821-RIPE
pgp-key fingerprint: B6A8 ED32 EFEF 3F43 6F9B 510D 7A90 7FDC 462A 1ABC