Re: Loop difficulty

2000-08-12 16:08:28
At 16:01 2000-08-12 -0700, Stephen J. Schilt wrote:

        1. Backup everything

done.

        2. Filter out messages that come in from special(_at_)ez(_dot_)net and
                a. Execute a notice script
                b. Place the incoming mail in the file DEFAULT

# Filter mail from special and send notice
:0 h
* ^FROM(_dot_)*special(_at_)ez(_dot_)net
{
        :0c:
        $DEFAULT

        :0
        | $HOME/notice.pl
}

My result to date is that the notice.pl script is properly executed but the delivery agent goes into a loop and doesn't deliver to DEFAULT.

Yea, the braces following your _delivery thru pipe_ to the notice script is invalid. Plus, assuming you did believe that it nested that way (which it doesn't), checking for the x-loop again would have been redundant, since the OUTER conditions would have mandated that it not be set.

While the above script should do what you want it to, you should note that you actually have to set the X-Loop in order to expect to look for it - if you never set X-Loop (which are primarily applicable to autoreplies and forwards), checking for it just eats cycles.

Now, what precisely does this have to do with "loop difficulty", which would imply that you're having looping problems, not simple delivery construct issues?

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395