Re: Procmail and Maildir/

2000-08-14 06:22:41
Hi!

Thanks for your info. But in this case,  my emaile will no longer be
sorted by the date/time that the emailed is delivered to my server cos
they will all have _ and a chunk fo random numbers/alphabets. Is there
anyway to change the behaviour?

Do you encounter such a problem with new emails displayed in between old
emails and stuff like that?

Thanks!

Quoting Gjermund Sorseth <gjermund(_at_)nextra(_dot_)com>:

  Chen Shiyuan <csy(_at_)hjc(_dot_)edu(_dot_)sg> writes:

  >   However, one thing which I noticed is that irregardless of
whether I am
  >   using procmail-3.14 or procmail-3.15pre, the name of the
file that is
  >   created in the Maildir/new directory is of the form :-
  >
  >   _WAD.9WYl5.server.domain
  >
  >   instead of something like (which i thought should be the
correct case
  >   as mentioned at http://www.qmail.org/man/man5/maildir.html)
:-

  >   966009135.2905.server.domain
  >
  >   And the _WAD.9WY15 part appears to be randomly generated
and this created
  >   a problem whereby my mails gets out of order with later
emails appearing
  >   in front of newer emails and such.
  >
  >   Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how I can
"solve" this
  >   problem?

I asked the same question a while ago. Here is a copy of the
answer.
--
Gjermund Sorseth

From: Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu>:

The format is
      an underbar
      the pid, base64 encoded left to right
      one of the set .,+:%@
      the time, base64 encoded left to right
      a period
      the hostname, or at least the beginning of it

The final filename will be at least 14 characters long, unless
that
would put the total path be written to over the system limits in
which
case procmail will keep chopping off characters until it fits.

It differs because a) it generates shorter filenames, and b) fits
better
into the procmail code base that way.  However, the exact format
of
the filenames is to be considered an implementation detail, so
don't
depend it.

I'll note that the qmail maildir manpage suffers from the defect
of
either being descriptive and not prescriptive, or over
specifying: it
describes how that original qmail implementation works, but does
not
make on what matters _all_ implementations must match.  According
to the
"HOW A MESSAGE IS READ" section, programs which read messages in
maildir
folders treat the actual filename as an opaque blob, so the above
method
of picking a unique filename should work fine.