Re: `w' with `f' (was N-way discussions)

2000-08-23 10:58:44
Michael asked,

| Along similar lies to the earlier message, I have wondered for some time
| whether it is redundant to use both the 'f' and 'w' flags on the same
| recipe?

No, it isn't.

| Does 'f' automatically imply waiting for the recipe to complete so
| that the modified message will be the one used in further recipes?

`W' (or its louder relative `w') doesn't mean just waiting for the command to
finish but rather waiting for it to report its exit code back to procmail.

Here is the difference as I understand it: if you have `w' or `W' on the
recipe, procmail will consider the filter a failure and will recover the
unfiltered text unless it can run the command, the command accepts the input
(unless you're also using `i'), and the command reports a zero exit code back
to procmail.

If you don't use `w' or `W', procmail won't care about the command's exit
code.  As long as it could invoke the command and (unless you're using the
`i' flag as well) the command accepted the input, no matter what the exit
code of the command, procmail will accept whatever output (even null output)
that the command gives.