Re: procmail: Error while writing to

2000-08-27 10:58:15
At 17:02 2000-08-26 -0700, jeff @ Alta Host wrote:
Hello I am having two problems with the procmail server.

FTR, Procmail isn't a server (daemon).

tried changing the permissions on the /var/spool/mail/ directory and we even
checked to make sure there was space to write to.

There should be NO reason to change permissions on the directory unless it was messed up by an earlier attempt to change the permissions.

procmail: Error while writing to "/var/spool/mail/barry"
550 <barry(_at_)altahost(_dot_)com>... Can't create output

"Error while writing to" is in the procmail manpage ('man procmail'), where it is described as "Nonexistent subdirectory, no write permission, pipe died or disk full."

I'd try enabling logfile verbosity (VERBOSE=ON) in your .procmailrc and then examining the procmail log to see what exactly procmail is complaining about.

before posting any followups, include the output of
        ls -al /var/spool/mail/barry

so that the actual permissions are shown, as well as what type of file it is - link, directory, file. This is *MUCH* better than claiming "you changed the permissions", without actually saying what they were changed to.

Other oddly important bits of information include the versions of procmail AND sendmail you're using, and even the .procmailrc, or an excerpt.

2-  This error message is the one I get when the following sender tries to
send an email to respective address:

This IS NOT a procmail error, it is a SENDMAIL configuration problem (Procmail doesn't have anything to do with MX configs).

It is also important to note that the "respective address" is a virtualized host - it isn't the same as the hostname (altahost.com).

553 moneysolution.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
554 <ravi(_at_)moneysolution(_dot_)com>... Local configuration error

There's these things called FAQ's, ostensibly because they address Frequently Asked Questions. "mail loops back to me/myself" is of course, in the sendmail FAQ:
        <http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.5>

Basically, "moneysolution.com" isn't in your local host names/relay list in your sendmail class W.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395