Re: list and me on To/cc lines

2000-09-01 09:04:48
Dave asked,

| What is the proper way to filter mail that arrives this way?

That will depend on what one wants to do with it.  Some people actually
prefer what you have happening now.  Farther down, you said you want this:

| If the mail is just to the list,
| I want it to go only into the list's mbox.
|
| If the mail is both to the list and to me,
| I want it to go into the list's mbox and /var/mail/dave.

That's the same thing I want (so obviously you aren't the Dave Robbins I knew
in college).  The best way is to identify mail that came through the list by
some header added or altered by the list's software, not by To: or Cc:, which
are set by the author of the post and will be the same on your direct copy.
If there is a Mailing-List: or List-Id: or X-Mailing-List: header, go by
that; failing that, look for Sender: or Resent-Sender: contents, or just find
something that proves not just the author's intention to post to the list but
the list's having processed the message.  Then you know you've found the copy
that came through the list and you can file it in the list's folder; the copy
sent directly to you will fail that test and will be filed by later recipes
or deposited into $DEFAULT.

That method has been working for me for years.  The difference, though, is
that I don't do duplicate detection.  So make sure that you keep your dupli-
cate detection out of the way.  For example, you could file mail from lists
before you do duplicate detection, so that their ID's will not be added to
the cache.