Re: intermittent error from echo

2000-09-04 06:24:51
Collin Park wrote:
Your recipe:

         :0abBfw
         * ^^\/(.*($))+
         | echo "$MATCH"

[snip]
Does that make sense?  It doesn't matter what happens on the pipe,
because the "echo" program will ignore the input it gets from the pipe
anyway; the output of "echo" is just $MATCH .  If you like you might
try:

         :0abBfw
         * ^^\/(.*($))+
         | (cat > /dev/null; echo "$MATCH")

Thanks, I actually knew that, but somehow I was thinking too hard
about trying to avoid running a process for echo.  I guess that
I'm stuck using the "i" flag though that might mask other errors
(such as $MATCH too large to pass to echo as a command line argument).

<wishlist>
I think this discussion has occurred before, but it seems to me that
this would be a case where it would be useful to be able to assign to
the already-special variable B; e.g.,
        :0abB
        { B="$MATCH" }
(Well, OK, one *can* assign to B, but it won't go back into the body.)
</wishlist>

hth
collin

Thanks,