How does Procmail handle local mail? Please help.

2000-09-09 03:18:44
Hi!

I´m in desperate need of help, because I have to set up a mail
server on Suse 6.4.

Sendmail seems to work fine and fetchmail collects all the mail
for mydomain.com. (so says the var/log/fetchmail)
Only Procmail won´t work.
When I send mail from one client to the next one in the LAN
(like from user(_dot_)lastname1(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com to
user(_dot_)lastname2(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com)
it´s not distributed locally, but sent to the SMPT server of the
ISP by sendmail.
Is there a possibility to set up procmail just to deliver it locally?

My next problem is that procmail won´t work at all. My .procmailrc
is in /root . Although I read that on the mentioned distribution there is
no .forward file needed I put one in /root, too. It contains just the line:

"IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail || exit 75 #root"

Procmail is located /usr/bin/procmail .

I found hundreds of articles on what and what can be put in as
a recipe, but I seem to lack the basic understanding of the process.
And I don´t need no fancy filters (yet) I just want to forward mail
for user(_dot_)1(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com to user1 on the Linux box so that
the clients in the LAN can collect it with their mailclient
(Outlook they want).
In which directory does (or better should) the mail go exactly?
Is it a directory that is created automatically for the users, or do I
have to create a /home/user1/Mail for every user?
Do I need a /root/Mail?

Anything wrong with my simple .procmailrc?:

SHELL=/usr/bin/sh
MAILDIR=${HOME}/Mail
LOGFILE=${MAILDIR}/procmail.log
VERBOSE=on                                      #just for now

:0
* ^To: user\(_dot_)lastname(_at_)mydomain\(_dot_)com
! user1

Do I need the backslash?
I tried this too:

SHELL=/usr/bin/sh
MAILDIR=${HOME}/Mail
LOGFILE=${MAILDIR}/procmail.log
VERBOSE=on                                      #just for now

:0
*  ^To:(_dot_)*user(_dot_)lastname(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com
! user1

And I tried

:0
*  ^To:(_dot_)*user(_dot_)lastname(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com
! user1

,too, because someone told me I do not need more on Suse 6.4??????

No logfile is ever created. Where the mail would go?
Isn´t $HOME/Mail in that case always /root/Mail?
I created that folder. Is that necessary?

Any help, hints, or where to find information beyond
recipe samples very appreciated.

Thanks, HS

(The man pages did not help much,
because they seem to contain no information on the interaction
with fetchmail and sendmail neither on questions as newbieish as mine.)