Re: How does Procmail handle local mail? Please help.

2000-09-09 18:46:46
Hi!

I´m in desperate need of help, because I have to set up a mail
server on Suse 6.4.

Sendmail seems to work fine and fetchmail collects all the mail
for mydomain.com. (so says the var/log/fetchmail)
Only Procmail won´t work.
When I send mail from one client to the next one in the LAN
(like from user(_dot_)lastname1(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com to
user(_dot_)lastname2(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com)
it´s not distributed locally, but sent to the SMPT server of the
ISP by sendmail.

this is nothing to do with procmail; sendmail uses procmail as its Local
Delivery Agent (LDA). Look to your sendmail configuration.

Unless you've configured fetchmail to feed mail into procmail, and this is
hardly every the right way to do things.

Is there a possibility to set up procmail just to deliver it locally?

My next problem is that procmail won´t work at all. My .procmailrc
is in /root . Although I read that on the mentioned distribution there is
no .forward file needed I put one in /root, too. It contains just the line:

"IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail || exit 75 #root"

Procmail is located /usr/bin/procmail .

Root will only ever see root's mail. Not even that if you have (and you
probably should) a sendmail alias directing root's mail to your account.

I found hundreds of articles on what and what can be put in as
a recipe, but I seem to lack the basic understanding of the process.
And I don´t need no fancy filters (yet) I just want to forward mail
for user(_dot_)1(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com to user1 on the Linux box so that
the clients in the LAN can collect it with their mailclient
(Outlook they want).
In which directory does (or better should) the mail go exactly?
Is it a directory that is created automatically for the users, or do I
have to create a /home/user1/Mail for every user?
Do I need a /root/Mail?

Anything wrong with my simple .procmailrc?:

First, get things working with no .procmailrc or procmailrc files.