Re: conditional (on output of another program) forwarding

2000-09-14 20:02:59
David W. Tamkin:

<snip>

Sixth, er, what if you're logged onto a different machine from the mail de-
livery box, Cory?  Will finger see you there?  Maybe it will: I just want
to be sure.

(nodding) a good point, but right now there's just the one box.

I might take a different approach.  Cory, in your shell sessions, do you use
csh or a derivative, such that you have a .logout, or do you use sh or a
derivative, such that you could TRAP the login shell's exit signal?  If you
can do that, I think there's a better way than fingering and grepping with
every incoming message.

<snip>

That was my first thought.  Unfortunately, I lose ssh connections
often (don't know if it's my windows box or my cable modem provider)
and wasn't sure if dropped sessions would be noticed.  I figured this
would be the most reliable method.  My shell is bash.

Thanks for your help, David and Matt -- I've got just what I wanted.
Note that the example I provided was a very simplified one, this was
actually one of the last things I wanted to implement into a
home-grown personal mail relay (I've got one of those Blackberry
wireless devices and wanted to use it for personal as well as work
e-mail).

take care,

cory