Re: Rewriting From: and Subject:

2000-09-19 09:39:52
At 10:48 2000-09-19 -0500, David W. Tamkin elucidated thus:
Sean must have awakened too early after a sleepless night.  He advised

A hot and humid night in the SF bay area, which means sleepless.

When Sean has had his morning can of Jolt and is fully alert (is Jolt still
on the market?) -- he'll remember these:

Yes it is, but they quit using SUGAR and switched to Corn Syrup, so it doesn't taste as good (which is all relative anyway).

1. You can't use an assignment as the action of a recipe (except a variable
   capture).  You use a left brace and put the assignment between the braces.

Doh, just jotting them down into an email. They're with brace in .procmailrc. Just trying to fire off a quick answer before running off for the day (gaak, 5 minutes to go...)

Those do require that Subject: and From: each contain at least one non-blank
character.  We can handle other cases easily enough:

[snip]

The other benefit to extracting these fields before use elsewhere is that the individual recipe (where the subj is being rewritten) won't fail if the subject was blank, because it shouldn't be using the subject in the conditions...

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395