Re: How to change the "From:" for Autoresponder

2000-09-22 05:51:52
"Professional Software Engineering" wrote on
Thursday, September 21, 2000 8:16 PM :

Fine.  The question was more as to why the _autoreply_ text necessitated
changing the from to precisely which address the person sent their message,
instead of commonizing it to one (say, "info(_at_)juni(_dot_)de" or whatever),
particularly since the outbound message body is the same in all instances.

When I get more familiar with procmail, I want to add different
message body´s according to then outgoing "From:"-addres.

Are these the ONLY addresses, and the sole list you've got to deal
with?  You express a desire to not have to keep adding addresses -- is that
addresses to the filter, or addresses you've publicised?  If the latter,
I'd just set up the filter to look for each address manually (well, one
GOOD regexp would fix that).

I don´t want to add more mailaccounts on my local machine, publicised
addreses will raise (I hope not to much).

Hmm, if you've got sendmail, you could use virtusertable and specify each
of the autoreply addresses in the virtusertable, pointing them at the one
mailbox that services them.  Then you could have accounts for the other
users on the box (such as yourself).

I know about virtusertable, but I´m very "new" to Linux at all.
Does the mapping of virtusertable change the "From:" header of
auto-reply messages?

The following may need some work, but try this instead:

:0
*
^TO.*\/((info|help|jozsef)@juni\.de)|((info|juni)@lastchoice\.de)|(dalos-gmbh(_at_)t-online\(_dot_)de)
{
         FROMADDR=$MATCH
}

I tried Your suggestion, but it took me a lot of time to find out, that the
'-' in the mail-address of "dalos-gmbh(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)" needs a
special rule. So I decided
to order some books about LINUX, REGEXP, PERL, thei are on their way.

Thanks for Your help,

József