get procmail to bounce to sender

2000-09-23 20:51:37

Hello all - I'm new here.

I recently configured a new sendmail server and brought
it online the other day. It's also using Cyrus imapd.

What's different about this one, is that I'm using
procmail as the local agent for the first time, and
that I use the SASL db mechanism for all imap users
rather than the usual /etc/passwd.

Now that I've done so, '550 5.1.1 User unknown' messages
no longer get generated when someone sends mail to a
non-existant user on the mail server, procmail instead
will simply send mail to root's local mail spool.

What I'd like to do is maintain this feature in which
such errant emails continue to be kept, instead of
merely discarded - *but* it's also generally a very
nice thing for the sender to be notified that the
email never made it the intended recipient, al la the
usual 'Mail Delivery Subsys  Returned mail: User unknown'
mechanism.

How would I go about creating a 'catchall' procmail recipe
that would mimic a MAILER-DAEMON message, as well as forward
a copy of the original to, say, a postmaster account on the
local server?

All incomming mail gets filtered via the following system
wide procmailrc:

############################
# procmail.common
#

PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/cyrus/bin
SHELL=/bin/sh
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes

DELIVER=/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver

# User Specific rc's
INCLUDERC=/home/cyrus/procmail.$CYUSER

# Send to IMAP inbox
#
:0w:$CYUSER.lock
| tail +2 | $DELIVER -e -a $CYUSER -m user.$CYUSER

# if the above fails, notify sender and also
# bounce copy to postmaster
#
# ... ???

Thanks for the helping hand,