RE: procmailrc efficiency

2000-09-28 17:27:46
At 19:40 2000-09-28 -0400, Colin J. Raven wrote:

Is there a specific format for a data_file.dat?

Depends on what you're accessing it with. In the case of 'grep -f file', it is elements separated by newlines.

I recently saw a db file that was delimited with %% between lines, and
wondered if there was a rule that stated how this (or any) dat file should
be "organized" (formatted)

ADAIK, not within the context of the grep command. If you piped it through a purpose-written script or utility, you could probably do about anything you wanted.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395