Re: Need your help to set Auto-respond function in procmail

2000-09-29 10:27:34
KLYang wrote:
My .procmailrc file

file location  $HOME/.procmailrc
**************************************
SHELL=/bin/sh
LOGFILE=$HOME/log
VERBOSE=off

:0 hc
* !^FROM_DAEMON
  | (formail -r -I"Precedence: junk" \
     -I"From:<charles(_at_)localhost(_dot_)localdomain>
                                              ^^
You need a closing quote and a '\' to escape the end-of-line here.
BEWARE: You must ensure that there are no spaces characters after the
        '\' -- the '\' must be the last character on the line!  You
        can check for this easily by using vi(1) to edit your
        .procmailrc and saying ":se list".  If your line looks like
        this:
                blahblah       \   $
        then you have trailing blanks.  If it looks like this:
                blahblah       \$
        then the '\' is the last char on the line and procmail will
        interpret it as a continuation.  (To turn off this feature in
        vi, say ":se nolist".)

     -A"X-Loop: bobcats(_at_)localhost(_dot_)localdomain"; \
     echo "Mail received.") | $SENDMAIL -t

You *may* need another "echo" before the "Mail received" one, to
separate header from body.

In other words:

:0 hc
* !^FROM_DAEMON
| (formail -r -I"Precedence: junk" \
     -I"From:<charles(_at_)localhost(_dot_)localdomain>" \
     -A"X-Loop: bobcats(_at_)localhost(_dot_)localdomain"; \
     echo; echo "Mail received.") | $SENDMAIL -t

Not related to your question, but Jari Aalto recommends always using
"-rt" when using formail to create a reply:

http://www.procmail.org/jari/pm-tips-body.html#always_use_formails_rt_switch

Log file.
**********

procmail: [882] Thu Sep 28 08:42:40 2000
procmail: Skipped ""
procmail: Skipped ""

[...]

procmail: Match on ! "^X-Loop: bobcats(_at_)localhost(_dot_)localdomain"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=(formail -rtb -IPrecedence: junk "

Is this the log from the above?  The flags "-rtb" seem to differ, and
the '\' in your recipe above don't match what the log is saying.

procmail: Skipped "-I"From: <charles(_at_)localhost(_dot_)localdomain>" \
"

Here procmail thinks the -I line is another recipe.  Watch out for
those spaces after the '\' !!

hth
--
Neither I nor my employer will accept any liability for any problems
or consequential loss caused by relying on this information.  Sorry.