Generating correct date in 'From ' headers from formail

2000-09-29 15:33:27
    The formail man page says:

When formail has to generate a leading `From ' line it  nor-
mally  will  contain  the current date.  If formail is given
the option `-a Date:', it will use the date from the `Date:'
field  in  the  header (if present).  However, since formail
copies it verbatim, the format will differ from that expect-
ed by most mail readers.

    Are there any recommended workarounds for this restriction? I have
several hundred old messages in individual files w/o 'From ' fields - I
think it's an MH-format mailbox - and would like to use formail to
synthesize 'From ' headers with dates interpretable to e.g. mutt. It
would be relatively straightforward to hack up a script to read the
miscellanous-format dates and convert them into the canonical format,
but I'd rather not if there's a tool to do the job.

    Thanks,

    Jon