RE: scoring oddity

2000-10-16 13:28:54
Right now I have the middle part in as:

       :0
       * $ $=^0
       *  ^(Message-Id|In-Reply-To|References):\/.*[$!]
       *  -100^1 MATCH ?? [$!]
       { }

I'm not sure whether I've re-invented my original scoring problem by
doing it this way, though.

Yep.  You'll need to extract each of those header fields and count the
number of $s and !s in them in separate recipes.

Thanks.  Might the possibly work as a saving grace?  In thinking about
this, either I've suddenly forgotten why we were using MATCH at all, or
else had an ephipheny that removing the MATCH restores scoring
functionality here for all three headers:

        :0
        * $ $=^0
        * -100^1 ^(Message-Id|In-Reply-To|References):.*[$!]
        { }

Alternatively, or is it moreover, since we're using scoring,
we do have the option of ORing like this, don't we?

        :0
        * $ $=^0
        * -100^1 ^Message-Id:.*[$!]
        * -100^1 ^In-Reply-To:.*[$!]
        * -100^1 ^References:.*[$!]
        { }

Parenthetically, is there any reason to want to reverse the score
we've got so far and add, rather than subtract?

        :0  # note the negative sign immediately below (is this kosher?)
        * $ -$=^0
        *   100^1 ^Message-ID:.*[$!]
        . . .

Finally, and furthermore, resuscitated from the earlier post is
again Stage 3:

        # $= now contains the corrected score.  If it's greater than
        # zero still, then do whatever
        :0
        * $$=^0
        { whatever }

I'm now unclear on the concept of why we need a Stage 3.  Why not
just put "whatever" in the braces up above and be done with it?

I'll stop now before I think of more.

--
Netcom has imploded.  Please now use NOTnetcom.com for mail.
Ex-Netcommies:  Mail "forwards" for free forwarding service!