Re: lockfile on >>!

2000-10-16 20:47:11
Dallman wrote,

| It also occurred to me that even ">" (and ">!" under C-shell-family
| syntax) could result in file corruption without a lock.  Or is one
| simply expected - as in the good old days before local lock recognized
| ">>" - to explicitly provide for the lock by name?

Yes, with > one is expected to specify the lockfile name.  I guess the idea
is not to make it too easy to use >?  I personally don't remember a time,
going back to when Stephen implemented the second colon as a way to get a
local lockfile, when procmail wouldn't pick up on the word after >> in a pipe
action as a way to get a name for it.  It certainly predates the mailing
list.  (There previously was a different way of getting a local lockfile,
and if I remember right procmail would not infer a name but one always had to
specify it in those days.)

| I suspect it was David Tamkin - but
| it could have been Stephen, or anyone - who first shot back with the
| "| gzip -fc >> file" response that is now a staple in man procmailex.

It wasn't I.