Re: Filtering Message size

2000-10-22 11:47:11
From: "Tomer Okavi" <tomer(_at_)rom(_dot_)co(_dot_)il>

I'm new to procmail.
and I need to filter messages arriving to me by size.
I have tried :

:0
* < 500
! my(_at_)email(_dot_)addr(_dot_)

named it .procmailrc in my home home folder but didn't seem to work.

Any suggestions on how can it be done??

You likely need a .forward file.

Here, from man procmail:

NOTES
       . . . .

       There exists an excellent  newbie  FAQ  about  mailfilters
       (and  procmail  in  particular), it is being maintained by
       Nancy McGough <nancym(_at_)ii(_dot_)com> and can be obtained by send-
       ing  a mail to mail-server(_at_)rtfm(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu with the
following
       in the body:
              send usenet/news.answers/mail/filtering-faq

       If procmail is not installed globally as the default  mail
       delivery  agent  (ask your system administrator), you have
       to make sure it is invoked when  your  mail  arrives.   In
       this  case your $HOME/.forward (beware, it has to be world
       readable) file should contain the line below.  Be sure  to
       include  the single and double quotes, and unless you know
       your site to be running  smrsh  (the  SendMail  Restricted
       SHell), it must be an absolute path.

I have not printed the line from my man procmail, because you
should check what yours says for your version on your system.
It might be similar to this:

      "|exec /path/to/procmail"

You will want to set up simple logging and ensure trouble-free
environment setting, in particular, that you use /bin/sh (or
the right path to your Bourne shell) as your shell.  See the FAQ
noted above and also info on the procmail.org web page, and
look at man procmail, man procmailrc, and man procmailex for
starters.

--
dman