Re: exporting header variables

2000-11-07 10:43:04
"David W. Tamkin" wrote:
That wastes a process (and it also leaves leading space intact in the
subject).  Better,

      :0 # brackets enclose caret, space, tab
      * ^Subject:.*\/[^       ].*
      { SUBJECT=$MATCH }

Good idea.  I would have thought it safer to do...

?  I thought I remembered something about the * op being greedy to the
left of \/ ?

Er, no, and no again.

First, procmail exports all variables set in .procmailrc that have normal
variable names, so there is no need to specify them on the command line for
the script to know them.  Therefore there is no need to force a shell.

Thanks to both you and Philip for straightening me out on this!
I wonder why Joel's script wasn't seeing the environment set as he
thought...

[... other good input snipped...]

Joel, I don't know why your script wasn't seeing the variables
set inside it.  As both Philip and David pointed out, the
variables had to have been set.  If in your script you execute
env(1) then you should be able to verify what your script does
or doesn't have in its environment....

cheers
--
Neither I nor my employer will accept any liability for any problems
or consequential loss caused by relying on this information.  Sorry.