help with virus removal using procmail...

2000-11-16 11:16:18
One of the only things I like Exchange for is the ability to put in virus
software that removes attachments which contains viruses. I would like to
do the same with a sendmail/procmail combination if possible.

I have a Solaris server (running 2.6) with sendmail 8.11.1 and procmail
version v3.11pre7 (so it is a little old). I know that sendmail does not
have support to do this because it is not involved with the actual mail
text. I also understand that procmail can be used as the local mail
program (by modifying sendmail.cf)  with sendmail and deliver all mail
locally.

There is a new virus going around which has the filename
NAVIDAD.EXE. Being that most of my users don't know enough to keep an eye
out for themselves it is going to fall on my shoulders to do this myself
(yippee). I was wondering if anybody knows a set of rules and how to
seamlessly hook procmail into sendmail so that I can remove the attachment
(and of course replace it with some text saying I did that).

I am currently looking into pm-jamime-kill.rc (available from
procmail.old) but am afraid that it will remove too much garbage and may
not be able to handle what I want...I have yet to fully look at it.

If anybody can help, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott Savarese