Re: procmail mailing list still won't filter

2000-11-21 11:41:01
At 17:44 2000-11-21 +0100, Andreas Tindlund wrote:

My recipe is given below. I have two traps for it (given to me by people
on this list), but  none of them works!

:0:
* ^Sender: procmail-admin(_at_)lists\(_dot_)rwth-aachen\(_dot_)de
$MAILDIR/procmail

# Then ditch carbons and the like.
:0:
* ^TOprocmail(_at_)lists\(_dot_)rwth-aachen\(_dot_)de
$MAILDIR/cc_list.gz

The first recipe gets the messages which _actually_ came from the list. The second tosses ones which were addressed to it, but obviously I got a copy from elsewhere (like a blasted carbon copy).

Could this be caused by old versions of procmail?

Nope.  Caused by incorrect regexp macro usage.

How can I find out what version is installed?

Check 'man procmail', where under synopsis, they show 'procmail -v', and below, where the option descriptions are given, -v is documented.

# Legger alle feilmeldinger direkte i INBOX
:0:
* ^FROM_DAEMON
$DEFAULT

Think about this one.  Then read below.

:0B:
* ^procmail
Procmail

I presume this is a test recipe only, because if you really want to filter messages with procmail in the BODY (and why at the beginning of lines only, anyway?), you might rather do that AFTER filtering LIST messages, which will be quicker to match.

:0:
* ^list-id:.*procmail|\
  ^X-beenthere:.*procmail|\
  ^Sender:.*procmail
Procmail2

More complexity than is warranted. If any one of these match, the others should as well. See above recipe - sender is all you should need for lists.

procmail: Match on
"(^(Mailing-List:|Precedence:.*(junk|bulk|list)|To: Multiple rec$
[snip - the rest of the log doesn't matter - this one line says it all]

Matched on FROM_DAEMON. No surprise -- you got this from a remailer, not an individual. See 'man procmailrc' and check out the regexp which FROM_DAEMON is. Then, examine mailing list messages, and note how many of the headers will actually match FROM_DAEMON...

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395