Re: passing variables to perl

2000-11-22 18:50:10
Philip Guenther wrote:
Except for slowing it down, adding the semicolon should have no
effect:  if a shell is not used to execute the action, procmail
performs the variable and command expansion and argument splitting for
itself.

Philip:  Thanks for straightening me out on this.  Several days back,
someone said that variables weren't getting into his shell script and
I believed him, concluding procmail was doing something other than it
really was.  It turned out that he was using '$envariable' not
"$envariable" in his script, and that was the real reason :^<

I wonder what the problem is with this script.  If procmail is indeed
substituting the values, why isn't his perl script seeing the values?
Another user error?

To the original poster:  is there a ' vs " issue in your recipe?
(A test shows that '$VAR1' prevents procmail from expanding $VAR1)
--
Neither I nor my employer will accept any liability for any problems
or consequential loss caused by relying on this information.  Sorry.