Re: How to immediately exit procmail with non-delivery error code?

2000-11-26 13:28:15
[[You did at some point state that you wanted to be able to
take a message and deliver it if you determined that it was
accidentally being flagged as spam when it wasn't really.
How do you plan to do this if you don't store the messages
locally (because of quota issues or whatever).  In order to
examine the messages to determine which ones you might want
to keep, you've got to expend time *AND* have the messages
to examine.  Sure, the logfile could give you bits of
info.]]

Given that the ONLY people who should be sending e-mail to
my ISP address are my girlfriend and sysadmin, it would be
VERY easy to recognize either of them using some new address
from the envelope address (or whatever it is) that appears
in the first line of the procmail log entry. I needn't see
even the Subject line to recognize such e-mail, much less
need the full text of the message.

[[Try reading the manpage.]]

All it says is "No manual entry for ...".
Anyway, you dredged up the relevant code to put into
.procmailrc, thanks. But:

[[Someone who actually uses COMSAT for something other than
simply disabling notifications will probably be able to
answer this much better.]]

Oh oh, so diddling the local value of COMSAT might cause bad
side effects that you can't warn me about because you don't
know yourself? Maybe I should not mess with that just yet.

By the way, some law was passed that it's a criminal offense
to forge ID on e-mail in order to harass somebody, right?
How many of these spammers are in the USA, merely using
foreign open relays because most of the USA relays have been
closed? The FTC has for years pretended to have an address
where spam should be reported, on the claim that violations
of the law will be prosecuted by them. For years, as soon as
they announced that address, I changed my .procmailrc to
send my rejected spam there. It never did any good. The FTC
lied to us bigtime!! Is there **any** e-mail address,
government agency or private volunteer or ANYBODY, who is
accepting rejected spam, counting how many copies of each
spam is reported, and legally prosecuting the worst spammers
to get them shut down permanently by putting in prison any
that violate ANY law whatsoever by their spamming (such as
their frequent pyramid/chainletter scams, free cable
descramblers, etc.)? In the long run, forwarding spam to
such an address would result in less total bandwidth
consumed than dumping spam in /dev/null.