Re: How to immediately exit procmail with non-delivery error code?

2000-11-26 17:45:50
At 11:25 2000-11-26 -0800, Mary Smith wrote:
Given that the ONLY people who should be sending e-mail to
my ISP address are my girlfriend and sysadmin, it would be

Then whitelist and be done with it.

If you promise to stop with the ranting about how bad spam is and how spammers must die, etc, somebody might even provide the script to do this (saving you HOURS of time searching for "whitelist" in the archvies).

Oh oh, so diddling the local value of COMSAT might cause bad
side effects that you can't warn me about because you don't
know yourself? Maybe I should not mess with that just yet.

A few test messages on your part, and you'd determine if COMSAT takes well to being turned on and off. It should, but as I said, I don't use it (I even have in.comsatd disabled on my servers). My comment was to say that since I don't use COMSAT - except to _disable_ such annoying announcements, I can't fully answer that question.

By the way, some law was passed that it's a criminal offense
to forge ID on e-mail in order to harass somebody, right?

I have no idea. Even if true, it certainly is not _international_ law, and in any event, you'd have a fun time trying to prosecute it -- esp. if they were even vaguely competent at forging the headers.

How many of these spammers are in the USA, merely using
foreign open relays because most of the USA relays have been

Newsflash: try getting a foreign sysadm (Chinese specifically), who can't even configure his server properly (otherwise, it wouldn't be an open relay, now would it?), to retrieve relevant log information from their server for a legal crusade in another country. Oh, and there's no rule that they speak English.

closed? The FTC has for years pretended to have an address
where spam should be reported, on the claim that violations

[big snip]

All of this is *WAY* outside of the scope of this list.

descramblers, etc.)? In the long run, forwarding spam to
such an address would result in less total bandwidth
consumed than dumping spam in /dev/null.

In the long run, getting open relays to close, and getting ISPs to take effective action against their users who do such things, would be more effective. If you're not planning on taking _HUMAN_ intervention to see to such things, the bandwidth-responsible way to go about it it to trashbin the messages.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395