Re: Autoresponder not working..

2000-11-27 14:19:35
At 19:29 2000-11-27 +0000, Ian Chilton wrote:

procmail: Extraneous deliver-head flag ignored
procmail: Skipped "| (formail -r -I"Precedence: junk" \"
procmail: Skipped "-A"X-Loop: postmaster(_at_)dcits(_dot_)com ; \"
procmail: Skipped ""Unknown User\n\nAny problems, please contact:
postmaster(_at_)dcits(_dot_)com") | $SENDMAIL -t"

What does that mean?

And when you add :0c above the formail invocation, does it deliver correctly? Follow all the advice before asking for more assistance.

I don't know if you were planning on having the initial recipe copy the message for further processing, but the very first line:

:0 h c

includes the 'c' flag which copies the message for that recipe to operate on (which means the message continues to be processed by the remainder of your rcfile). This 'c' doesn't apply to the rules _within_ the braces (they're working on the copy they were given, but as soon as one delivers, it's done with the copy).

The 'h' flag means only to deliver the header (not the body) into the delivery (so that local copy you're filing wouldn't include a body) -- but the braced delivery changes things - that rule isn't actually _delivering_ the message, thus (and I may be wrong), it can't effectively deliver only the headers. If you really want this, put it on the flags preceeding he formail invocation and on the mailbox delivery (again, if you really want it).

since formail doens't include the -k option, it is discarding the body anyway - of course, not passing it to formail is a slight optimization, but is optional - your autoreply won't include a copy of the original message body.

Further, your bounce message doesn't identify the address to which the original message was being delivered to -- the sender (esp annoying if a mailing list) won't have a clue as to who to unsubscribe.

[snip]
Would that be better?

I did suggest it (though as noted above, I originally glossed over any reasoning you may have had for the 'c' flag on the outer rule, which I see has been removed from this rewrite). You should re-run the test and examine the logfile for the change.

[snip]

humm....how can I do that then?

adding :0c, as instructed.  Your rewrite does this.

> * ^Envelope-to:(_dot_)*(_at_)mydomain\(_dot_)com

Tried that, but didn't escape the .   :)

The escaped dot in the domain is more a matter of properly matching it as a dot instead of any character (uncluding a dot). Inadvertently not including it won't stop this from matching - it's just that under certain (really unlikely) circumstances, it might match another string:

        @mydomain.com
could match:
        @mydomainscom.net

Though,
        @mydomain\.com
could match:
        @mydomain.community.net

So it's really just how retentive you want to be -- escaping dots is the proper thing to do.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395