using procmail for LUSER_RELAY in sendmail

2000-11-28 01:52:03
I need to get sendmail to invoke procmail to deliver mail for unknown users to a MAILSPOOLHASH structure such as /var/mail/b/a/bar/

I think I know how to do most of it. I spent the day getting the latest sendmail (8.11.1) and procmail (3.15), plus a lot of time discovering that (a) you can not convince procmail to change the MAILSPOOLDIR via editing authenticate.c unless you first #undef it (see http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/procmail/2000-10/msg00208.html ) and (b) MAILSPOOLHASH works only in delivery mode (see http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/procmail/1999-07/msg00114.html ).

This last point was bad news since delivery mode only works on known users. Luckily for me, help had already been given in the followup message (see http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/procmail/1999-07/msg00119.html ). I took Philip's code from that message, put it in /etc/procmailrc, and it works fine from the command line with the recipient's name hard coded.

What I need... The beginning of this code contains:

        FROM = $1
        RCPT = $2

        :0

How do I call procmail from send mail under the condition of an unknown local user *and* get the 2 arguments passed?

The sendmail book would have me believe that I should add the following to my sendmail.mc

        define(`LUSER_RELAY',`agent:host')

OK, please anybody, exactly what do I provide for agent:host to get procmail to run with the expected arguments.

Many thanks, it's been a long day here.

--
Dennis Nichols
nichols(_at_)tradingconnections(_dot_)com