load on mail server...

2000-12-11 14:50:57
No...All that work and I can't even use the sanitizer!

On my mail server I throw on html-trap.procmail sanitizer and this weekend
all was well...We even nailed several viruses. But when people came in
this morning and started their outlooks to check their mail the load on
the sendmail server shot up to 6, which at that point caused sendmail to
stop recieving mail and me having to remove the procmailrc file...:(

So, here is my question...How much load should this sanitizer have...I
figure, using outlook at most there will be 1 sendmail process per
message sent (say on average 2 mails go out at a time), 1 procmail process
started, and 1 perl process started and 1 qpopper job to download their
new mail process...That is only 5 processes per person. On top of that we
see alot of mail coming in, which gets filtered as well...On average
1 or 2 messages come though every second...It is hard to tell that...But
not many large attachments come through over the network...

I am doing this on a Sun Ultra 1 with a 200Mhz CPU and 512M memory, which
is handling mail for 150 users. Considering that the load without this
filter (only spam filtering is enabled) the load is at .35 should it be
able to handle virus filtering?

Thanks,
Scott