Re: Not writing to temp file

2000-12-12 13:31:40
Sean answered Robert,

| Apparently the file LITERALLY named "$KILLFILE" wasn't found to exist (and
| not be a directory and be writeable, which are secondary to it even being
| found).
|
| >procmail: No match on " test -f $KILLFILE && test -s $KILLFILE"

No, not literally named $KILLFILE but rather named the value of the variable
$KILLFILE.  Since there is a character from $SHELLMETAS ("&") in the command,
procmail invokes a shell to run it and refers everything over to the shell,
including variables, and the shell expands them.  Since procmail exports all
variables that it defines, the shell should have the right value for $KILLFILE.

Now, that's besides the point that it would make more sense to do only one
test

 * ? test -f $KILLFILE -a -s $KILLFILE

or if we are going to test twice, at least set something up like this that
tells us which test gave the failure code:

 * ? test -f $KILLFILE
 * ? test -s $KILLFILE

(if we don't care, combine the tests with -a); and it's besides the point
that Robert still is not getting the name of the ^FROM_DAEMON macro right.