Re:cat: command not found

2000-12-15 18:40:49
:0 Whc: vacation.lock  # Assigning vacation.lock as the lock file
* !^FROM_DAEMON  # Checking to see if this is a message from the DAEMON
it isn't from me
| formail -rD 8192 vacation.cache  # Checks the cache for the sender

 :0 ehc    # if the name was not in the cache
 | (formail -rA"Precedence: junk" \ # Appends Header Precedence
      -A"X-Loop: poohba(_at_)poohba(_dot_)adsl(_dot_)duke(_dot_)edu" ; \
    echo "I received your mail,"; \ # Puts this in the body of the message
    echo "-- "; cat $HOME/.signature \ # Adds the .signature
   ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t  # Sends to sender who is now recipient

I figured that it isn't attaching the signature file.  That is the error.

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Charlie Summers wrote:

At 7:07 PM -0500 12/15/00, Robert Campbell is rumored to have typed:

The reason I asked is because it still seemed to send the autoreply that I
wanted to send.

   Ah, but it ISN'T...at least it isn't sending out what your recipe is
telling it to send out because of the error.

 So, why did the error come up if it sent it anyway?

   I was surprised you needed to ask the initial question because I thought
it was painfully obvious. And the missing piece here is equally obvious to me
by simply reading through the recipe. What worries me is that it's starting
to dawn on me that you may have pulled a cut-and-paste operation without
understanding what the recipe is _supposed_ to do and _how_ it is supposed to
do it, which is always a really bad idea. I think the guy who wrote this
recipe wanted to do something you don't necessarily want it to do, and
because you didn't take the time to understand what the recipe is doing, you
are getting a possibly unnecessary error.

   Here's what I want you to do - I want you to go through the recipe
step-by-step and tell me what each section is doing. Break it down by
process, and tell me what EVERY PART of the recipe is trying to accomplish.
If there are ANY parts you don't understand, note it, and I'll help you
understand what's happening in that section.

   Once we walk through what that recipe is trying to do, I'm pretty sure
you'll understand why you're getting the error, and even how to fix it.

          Charlie (who really _hates_ the idea that you aren't looking
                    for a Precedence: of junk or list, which means you'll
                    send your autoresponder out once to any mailing list
                    you're on...on any of _my_ lists, that is enough to
                    get the address kicked off immediately)

--
I cut your a in half and leave you with a semi- colon....
                                                Mr. Man