*sigh* what am I missing?

2000-12-21 03:01:37
Okay, this has frustrated me for the last few hours - here's hoping someone
can shed a little insight on whatever basic process I'm missing.

I basically need to set up a simple vacation message for the users at the
corporate office I manage (in part). I've messed around with vacation and
procmail to no avail. Basically, my mailer seems to take no notice whatsover
that there is a .forward file in my user's home directory. It is the user's
home directory no doubt about it; vacation and procmail are on the system's
path, both for users and root. Simply put, nothing ever happens. No procmail
log is generated; no vacation notice sent. My system log never even suggest
a (failed) attempt was even made, and no procmail log file is generated.

I'm running linux slackware v 6.1, and mail is simply stored in
var/spool/mail/$username; retrieved principally by e-mail POP3 clients.
The contents of the sendmail.mc which gave rise to my configuration are as
follows, if this is relevant:

divert(-1)
dnl This is the macro config file used to generate the /etc/sendmail.cf
dnl work.
divert(0)
OSTYPE(`linux')
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')
FEATURE(use_cw_file)
MAILER(smtp)
MAILER(procmail)
FEATURE(`local_procmail')
FEATURE(`access_db')

Procmail is installed correctly, and reacts properly to the tests I've given
it. Why is my server not paying attention to the .forward file!?

Sam Sgro
Corinet Network Services
ssgro(_at_)corinet(_dot_)com