NFS Locking

2001-01-08 07:26:17
I am trying to test which locking I should use (redhat 6.2 NFS clients
and server)

I have unpacked procmail 3.15 on two of the client machines and get them
to test locking in an NFS mounted dir simultaneously.

Running make, followed by make clean, on both machines at the same time,
I get different results returned by subsequent locking tests, However,
both machines report the same values on each test run

Test 1:
/* Hotwire LOCKINGTEST=011 */
/* Procmail will lock via: dotlocking, lockf(), flock() */
#define NOfcntl_lock
#define USElockf
#define USEflock

Test 2:
/* Hotwire LOCKINGTEST=110 */
/* Procmail will lock via: dotlocking, fcntl(), lockf() */
#define USElockf

Test 3:
/* Hotwire LOCKINGTEST=110 */
/* Procmail will lock via: dotlocking, fcntl(), lockf() */
#define USElockf

Test 4:
/* Hotwire LOCKINGTEST=100 */
/* Procmail will lock via: dotlocking, fcntl() */

What am I supposed to make of this?  What sort of locking should I be
using?

If test only a single client, I get:

/* Hotwire LOCKINGTEST=111 */
/* Procmail will lock via: dotlocking, fcntl(), lockf(), flock() */
#define USElockf
#define USEflock

--
Chris Picton
Bytes Technology Group Systems Developer