were to write INCLUDERC

2001-01-11 04:30:29
Hai Colin

You have said to include "INCLUDERC=$HOME/.procmailrc"
in which directory. Because I have no /etc/procmailrc
file  where can I put it now.

I am using procmail v3.13.1 on Linux Red Hat .

Regards

Nilanjan Sircar

----------
From:   David W. Tamkin[SMTP:dattier(_at_)ripco(_dot_)com]
Sent:   Tuesday January 09 2001 11:39 PM
Cc:     procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject:        Re: where to put the .procmailrc file.

Joao asked,

if a user don't have a .procmailrc file the mail
delivery don't function?

Collin answered,

| Mail delivery will function, but procmail will only
use
| /etc/procmailrc if the user's home directory has no
.procmailrc file.

Oh my.  Precision, precision, Collin.

The second independent clause of that sentence as
Collin typed it is
syntactically incorrect, and unfortunately it can be
interpreted two ways.
One of the two is false; the other is true.

"... but procmail will use /etc/procmailrc only if the
user's home directory
 has no .procmailrc file," is false.  Certainly Collin
didn't mean it that
 way, but that was the first reading that popped into
my mind, and at first
 I thought Collin had made an error of fact as well as
one of syntax.

"... but procmail will use only /etc/procmailrc if the
user's home directory
 has no .procmailrc file," is true, and it must be
what Collin meant to say.

If procmail is invoked with no rcfile named on the
command line and without
the -p option, procmail will use the recipes and
assignments in
/etc/procmailrc first.  If procmail gets to the end of
/etc/procmailrc
without completing delivery, it will do the following:

 DROPPRIVS=yes # give up root rights and run as the
recipient

 INCLUDERC=$HOME/.procmailrc

 # if ~/.procmailrc doesn't exist, isn't readable,
isn't safe,
 # or didn't complete delivery, we arrive here

 :0:
 $DEFAULT

 :0e:
 * $ ! ORGMAIL ?? ^^$DEFAULT^^