Re: .foward question. Is it .forward or procmail?

2001-01-23 07:26:55
From: Anthony Green <anthonyg(_at_)hutch(_dot_)com(_dot_)au>

Just a quick question someone may know, this may be a .forward
thing, but if it cant be done there it may be a procmail solution.

My .forward is pretty simple right now.

|procmail
other(_at_)hutch(_dot_)com(_dot_)au

So, process procmail plus its rules and then send a copy of the
email to the "other" address.

What I essentially want to do is for all emails that dont match the
procmail rules I have setup, and end up in my normal inbox to be sent
through to the "other" address only. So that all email filtered by
procmail and stored in folders are not passed onto the "other" address.

Right now, emails that are filtered by procmail into the respective
mailboxes are also sent to the "other" email address.

Is there a simple solution to the above that someone can help me
with?

First, please do read the man pages:

        man procmail
        man procmailrc
        man procmailex

will get you started.  There are FAQs referenced from www.procmail.org.
We're all busy individuals here just like you and don't mind
volunteering when called to duty; but that does not vitiate
your responsibility to do a modicum of self-help research first.

This is not even so much directed at you but a gentle reminder to
many of the newbies on the list.  Now to business:

Suggest you formulate your .forward with only a call to procmail
in it, but preferably modelled after the sample in "man procmail".

At the bottom of your .procmailrc, just put

        :0
        ! other(_at_)address(_dot_)au

Note that that is a bang (exclamation mark), not a pipe.

Good luck.  (But you won't need much luck - it's easy.)

--
Netcom has imploded.  Please now use NOTnetcom.com for mail.
Ex-Netcommies:  Mail "forwards" for free forwarding service!