Re: .procmailrc not processed

2001-02-02 03:22:59
"Istvan Bereti" <istvan(_dot_)bereti(_at_)ioboxgroup(_dot_)com> writes:
HI,

This is the first time that I try to use procmail. I use or would like to
use it with postfix mail system. My problem is that I would like to make
auto-reply for a mail address. If I understood well the mail system calls
procmail and procmail calls the .procmailrc file in the users home
directory. But for some reason the users home .procmailrc is never called.
If I put a general /etc/procmailrc processing file it works fine. But I
don't want to process all mails and selecting the one is coming to a certain
address if it's already implemented.

Procmail starting in postfix:
mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail

Do I need some parameter that in the user's home directory .procmailrc will
proceed??

Operating system:Linux Mandrake 7.2

If you check /var/log/maillog, you'll probably find a bunch of lines
saying:
        procmail: Suspicious rcfile "/path/to/users/home/dir/.procmailrc"

If so, the problem is probably that the user's home directory and/or
rcfile are group readable.  By default, procmail doesn't trust your
default rcfiles if it's group-writable or located in a group-writable
directory.  If procmail is compiled with the GROUP_PER_USER option
then procmail will trust such files if the group involved is the user's
primary group.

So, if that's the problem then you should either recompile procmail
with the GROUP_PER_USER option (and bug the Mandrake people to fix their
distribution's procmail binary if such a setup is their default), or
execute the command
        chmod go-w $HOME $HOME/.procmailrc

Philip Guenther