Re: Auto-replies work, except...

2001-02-08 03:52:54
At 17:30 2001-02-07 -0800, METAgency did say:
Some auto responses generate an error message saying:
"<email(_at_)machine(_dot_)myserver(_dot_)com>...Sender domain must exist". I suspect that this is the sendmail "-t" switch not putting the correct email "From:" address from the auto response.

-t has nothing to do with your FROM address. 'man sendmail' should make this pretty clear. You should use -ffromaddr to set that.

I have tried using a pipe to
"sendmail -f email(_at_)host(_dot_)com" but it doesn't work. Anyone have an idea or something that will work?

Have you tried using the proper syntax? That means omission of the space between -f and the address.

Note also that if the user which is sending the message isn't listed in the sendmail trusted users list, a warning header will be added to the sent message (again, see the sendmail manpage).

Also, the From: header is not rewritten by using the -f option - only the envelope sender. If you want the From: field to reflect the changed address, you should emit that into the message -- in your case, by adding:
        -I"From: $myaddress"

or whatever, to your formail invocation.