Re: Filtering w. qmail and uw-imap

2001-03-07 16:59:41
CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay(_at_)dinamis(_dot_)com> writes:
I have an e-smith 4.1 server <http://www.e-smith.org> running. The default
installation includes qmail and uw-imap. When I looked in .qmail, I saw
./Maildir/. I guess that indicated that qmail was delivering mail directly
into ~/Maildir. Procmail is installed but does not appear to be used since
there was no procmailrc file anywhere on the disk. This is my first time
using pm so I tried the basic configuration suggested by
<http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/>.

Unless e-smith has made its own changes to the imap daemon that ships
with Redhat -- UW-Imap with some broken maildir patches -- I recommend
that you not combine procmail, IMAP, and maildir.  You will probably see
messages being missorted, but it at least partially depends on the IMAP
client involved.

I have pasted the contents of the three files that I modified in between
the dashed lines.

.qmail file contains:

---------------------------------
| preline /usr/bin/procmail
./Maildir/

That results in two copes of each message: one being fed to procmail
and one being delivered to the ./Maildir folder.  The latter is of
course unfiltered.  Procmail is presumably delivering its copy to
/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME or the Trash folder as specified in the
testing.rc file.

.procmailrc contains:

---------------------------------
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
PMDIR=$HOME/procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/testing.rc

Please read the procmailrc(5) manpage's entry on the MAILDIR variable.
It has nothing to do with the Maildir mailbox format (I curse the day
that Dan Bernstein gave a different meaning to that variable then the
meaning procmail had assigned).

Also, read the paragraph right before the "Environment variable defaults"
section for info on how to control what format procmail considers a
folder to be.

Philip Guenther