RE: Damn this Sexy-Fun garbage!

2001-03-09 10:47:25

Tim, are you quite sure you want to include dumping of .mdb or .mde
files??

I'm not sure that I want to do anything with them.  It was Microsoft who
recommended that people block access to them, for that is what *their* patch
blocks

http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/2000/articles/Out2ksecFAQ.htm recommends
protection against all these extensions.

See also http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/2000/downloadDetails/Out2ksec.htm

These are valid M$ Access databases. While I think it would be crazy do
send a .mdb/.mde file without zipping it first, since they tend to be
rather large, if you have users who *do* work in this format, they might
be concerned if you zap actual database attachments.

Well, I'm working on my own ~/.procmailrc, not an /etc/procmailrc, so what I
decide to do will not impact anyone but myself.

Under Microsoft's patch, these files (or a subset of them at least) are never
accessible.  That's not what I wanted (I actually uninstalled and reinstalled
Outlook to remove that blasted patch).  I wanted to be able to send/receive
attachments from certain other users, but if some random person emails me one of
these files, it stays on the server until I can check it out against Symantec,
etc.

*IF* my sysadmin were to implement some sort of procedure to block these
attachments, I would probably be aggravated if there was not some way to
eventually get to them (which is why I think the M$ patch is too extreme.  Then
again, I think having a Windows mail system w/o antivirus at the server level is
rather foolhardy).

I've gotten hundreds of attachments in email, and less than 10 have had virii,
but I'm still going to protect myself.

TjL