Re: Archive messages to .tar.gz

2001-03-14 23:35:13
Glen asked,

S> I want to archive my messages to a .tar.gz file once per month (just
S> appending the info to the end).  I cannot use cron jobs, since the
S> machine is not mine.  How can I do this with procmail?

Timothy replied,

L> There are versions of 'cron' which let individual users run personal
L> crontabs.

If the machine is not Glen's own, he can't control which version of cron it
runs.

L> Then there are 'at' commands too... I wrote an 'at' script once that would
L> reinsert itself after it ran (which gave me the equivolent of a daily
L> 'cron' job)

I tried that once on a machine where the admins allowed me access to at but
not to cron.  About twice a month the loop would break: either the job would
fail to resubmit itself, or it would somehow get lost from the queue, or who
knows what.  The first few times I reentered the job myself; finally, since
all I wanted to run was a once-a-day maintenance job to cut my logfiles and
mail them to me, I set up procmail recipes to fork the job on the first
message I received each calendar day.  I'd share that suite of recipes here,
but the approach is obsolete nowadays.

So, it being 2001, Jim recommended.

W> Sign up with one of the online email reminder services.

W> Write a procmail recipe to fire off a script when it gets a particular
W> subject line

W> Send yourself a monthly message.

That's almost exactly what I was going to suggest ... except you should have
the recipe check the sender as well as the subject just in case somebody who
writes to you chances to use the same one.  You can't always control the sub-
ject lines on those services, you see, so even if you think up some extremely
silly string to have in the subject lines of your reminders that wouldn't ap-
pear in any other mail to you, the subject line might still be something dull
like "Reminder" that you can't override.