Re: $SHELLMETAS

2001-03-16 01:49:28
Solocdm asked,

| Are $SHELLMETAS and all other characters controlled by procmail's
| rules *or* are characters dependent and subject to the rules of the
| command preceding the characters; i.e.: sed 's/:-\]//' (the focus is
| ":-]")?

I have no idea of what you mean by "the focus."  The value of $SHELLMETAS
has a compiled-in default, but it can be changed or unset by a simple
variable assignment in /etc/procmailrc or in your own rcfile.  It does not
have any preprogramming to vary automatically from command to command.

There are no characters from the default value of $SHELLMETAS in the sample
command you listed, so unless a different value was compiled in or you've
changed the value, such that it includes colon, hyphen, right bracket, slash,
backslash, apostrophe, s, e, or d, procmail will run that command itself (it
certainly can) and not invoke a shell for it.

| Why the question?  I never get the same results in .procmailrc as I do
| at the prompt or bash scripts.

That may have something to do with your environment.  Procmail, when the MTA
invokes it, likely runs in a different environment from the one you set up in
your .profile or .bash_profile or .bashrc or whatever they're called for bash
users.