What use /etc/procmail?

2001-03-16 14:41:58
All the recipes I've seen here (or elsewhere on the 'net) appear to be
personal. There's little, if any, mention of how useful /etc/procmail can
be. The man page only says that procmail will use /etc/procmail before it
uses $HOME/.procmailrc.

So I'm left wonder how useful is /etc/procmail. Will it be used when any
email message arrives and how much can I have it do before a user
account's .procmailrc is invoked?

For example, can I use /etc/procmail to rewrite email that would not
normaly be accepted here because the addressee is neither an extant
username or a valid alias? Some of my non-computer-literate friends get my
address wrong (typically putting an extra period at the end of my name) so
could I have recipes in /etc/procmail that correct their mistakes by
re-writing the header? Or am I fitting a lossing battle because sendmail
will have already bounced it back?

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!

--

<>< Re: deemed!