Re: procmail with virtusers

2001-03-26 07:40:17
At 07:19 2001-03-22 -0800, Lee Vorthman wrote:

I have a question about using procmail along with the virtusertable in
sendmail. Currently I have a sendmail box setup primarily to accept messages
based on the virtusertable and rewrite those addresses to different
addresses.

virtusertable doesn't "rewrite" addresses. It "maps" them - that is, it reroutes the delivery of the message, but doesn't change anything about the message itself (such as the headers). Rewrite rules actually CHANGE headers.

I have a procmail autoreply setup that works for local accounts,
but I want the reply to work for users matched in the virtusertable since I
do not have any local accounts.

And you don't have any local accounts why? Because you have a pile of sales inquiry autoreply bot addresses you don't want to manage local accounts for, or what? The easy (and AFAIK, most proper) way to resolve your problem is to create a new local account expressly for all these virtual addresses you want to handle. Then virtualize all these addresses to that account (uhm, if they're in virtusertable currently, what is the RHS of the equation anyway?). Then host your autoreply material within that local account.

I am wondering how to configure
procmail/sendmail in order to have procmail reply to messages received even
though they won't be matched locally. Is this possible?

Procmail is the LDA - Local Delivery Agent (well, if configured within sendmail as such - otherwise, if invoked via .forward file, it is a mail post-processor of sorts instead). Inherently, for the LDA to be invoked, sendmail needs to determine that the address is a valid local address, and resolve what the local username is. If that cannot be done, then the LDA won't be invoked.